From:
Anne Andrianos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2006 08:08:25 -0800
On Thursday, I responded to Nikki's post about the Australian journal and articles dealing with collecting colostrum during pregnancy. The comments following for the past several  have been interesting.

I would like all to know  that the original question that came to me was from a mother who wrote emailed me l..with little information about her current physical condition. I responded on the conservative side...not to pump and save milk, but prepare for the next breastfeeding experience with better information and a support team in place The mother has not responded to my email. After learning about the new articles, I emailed her again with references, but have not heard from her.

This raises a question of how do we respond, what kind of information should be given out with such limited information on the condition of the mother. Having done phone counseling for over 20 years, I know how to tease out information reflect, summarize, etc to feel pretty comfortable with recommendations, etc. On the phone , I can have direct feedback, hear the tone of voice, evaluate the process of the conversation, but it is much more difficult to do with a limited email question.

What would others say about this...don't answer until a more complete health history is collected...refer to an book or website? not respond at all? I think the freeness of the internet poses some new concerns for practicing lactation consultants. Anne Andrianos