From:
Yael Wyshogrod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 21:33:27 +0200
>>Every once in a while in the midst of working with a newly pp mom and baby
>in
>>hospital, I've had/created a teaching opportunity with a nurse whose
advise
>>has been less than helpful.  .

It is great that you are able to do this.  Unfortunately, the vast majority
of hospitals here do not have LC's.  Instead they are sending out some of
their nurses to these lactation courses to become "lactation experts". If
they retain the 5 or 10% of what they learn, maybe that  is better than
nothing, but we see how they change and distort much of what they learned,
still lacking  the feel for breastfeeding.
The increased awareness of breastfeeding and of lactation professionals has,
however, caused more of these mother's who had their breastfeeding ruined in
the hospital, to seek help to later undo the damage and maybe save
breastfeeding.  These are the referrals I'm getting.  I'd still rather they
had it start out right in the hospital.

Yael Wyshogrod  IBCLC
Rechovot, Israel