From:
Carolyn Zara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 23:36:01 -0400
In a message dated 96-08-25 18:03:38 EDT, Mary Renard writes:

<<One note:  I heard some years ago that the Lyme's Disease Foundation (may
 not have title right) did *not* provide good information about continuing to
 breastfeed....  took the classic "better safe than sorry" (safe = ABM, HUH?)
 approach and recommended weaning from the breast.  Last I heard, they had
 been provided with good information and had not changed their materials.
 Maybe their stuff is better now.  One can hope!

 BTW, Lyme's when it is detected early is treated with simple antibiotics -
 like Amoxicillin - that are regularly given to infants as well.  My
 understanding from having had three family members treated for Lyme's (!) is
 that if it is treated promptly it is not the nightmare disease that it
 becomes if it remains undetected.  (And yes, I know this is not a scientific
 survey!)>>
 Dear Mary,

Your family members were very lucky to have recovered well from Lyme Disease.
 We have not been as fortunate.  Not all people that are treated early on for
Lyme Disease with antibiotics are treated successfully and have resolution of
problems.  Some treatment plans include long-term mega-doses of antibiotics.

There are some 70 different strains of the B. burgdorferi bacteria and one
tick can carry more than one disease such as Lyme and Erlichiosis.  Many
antibiotics will not deter the Lyme spirochete and it is very individualized
as to how one's body will respond to an antibiotic to eradicate this
bacteria.   It can even change its DNA coding.

Many people do not have the rash or bullseye after exposure and so have no
indication early on that they have been bitten by a tick.  It takes only a
matter of weeks for the spirochete to get a strong hold on the body and
attack the immune system.  This can be a very serious disease.  It can affect
multisystems and can be devastating.

In my husband's case it first attacked his neurologic system, then some
problems with his heart and bowels, chronic fatigue, severe migraines and
later his joints. For the past two years there has been a constant
inflammatory response going on throughout many systems in his body.  It was
over 3 years before he was diagnosed and by then the disease had become
chronic leaving much permanent damage. It can become very incapacitating.

This bacteria does not like to hang out in the blood but burrows deep within
the  tissue.  It is therefore difficult to diagnose with a blood or urine
test and so many people will have a false negative test result.

I don't know of any studies on breastfeeding with Lyme Disease.  Seeing the
damage it has caused to my husband's body and thinking of the damage it could
cause to a breastfeeding infant  concerns me.  There is a possibility that
this bacteria could pass through the milk to the baby.  Researchers have
found spirochetes in breast milk.

Martina Ziska from the Lyme Disease Foundation briefly addressed this issue
in the Lymelight Newsletter (Volune 5, 1995).  She writes, "Questions about
breastfeeding remain unanswered.  Nursing women with Lyme Disease often call
to ask us whether or not they should continue nursing.  There is no
definitive answer to this question.  While there have been no documented
cases of transmission through breast milk, it is theoretically possible.
 Some physicians recommend nursing mothers discard their breast milk during
active infection and treatment, resuming breastfeeding after treatment is
complete and the woman becomes symptom free.  The decision to do so should be
discussed with a physician."

Knowing that it is very difficult to treat Lyme Disease (and for some people
there does not appear to be a"cure") I would warn that this disease should
not be taken lightly.  I do understand why the Lyme Disease Foundation is
taking a conservative approach on breastfeeding.

The breast milk may help to keep the baby's immune system strong but there is
so little that is really known  about this disease.  As much as I believe in
the value of breastfeeding I do think that each woman's situation should be
individually evaluated and for some women with active Lyme Disease it might
not be wise to breastfeed the baby.

Carolyn Zara, RN, BSN, IBCLC
Mansfield, Ohio