From:
Susan R Potts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 07:34:05 -0500
Hi Diane and all,
      Gosh Diane, I think you and I would have a lot to talk about if we
ever spent an afternoon together!
      One of the very most valuable things I have to offer parents is
explaining/translating baby behavior.  Many on Lactnet have posted on
this.  I use one of our genius contributor's words using China as an
example of being in a totally different environment but there are 2
people who you know and understand, mom and dad.  No wonder baby loves to
be close to you, you're home, safety, comfort, love, and food.
     Sometimes I share about my attitude with our first baby, who is now
14.  ( I was an unwanted child and had a not so great childhood)      I
don't know what I thought our first baby was: a task to take care of, or
a pet.......  Some friends were over and talked about Andrew's blankets
and Andrew's bottles like he was a real person who had possessions and
owned things.  And I thought  'Oh!  He's a little human being with his
own thoughts, feelings, and possessions!'  Our friends had no idea the
impact of their statement, I think it was a God thing.  Since then, I've
figured I can't be the only new parent with a hang up like that.  My
point is for parents to look at their babies'  cues and body language.

     Susan in Minnesota, USA
     rn ibclc