From:
"G. Hertz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 17:53:12 -0700
Hi everybody,
Computer problems have been fixed and I'm back - with a story from the AAP
[American Academy of Pediatrics] meeting that will make any ulcer you have
much worse or give you one if you don't have one already.

I went to a 3 hour seminar at the meeting which was given by 3
neonatologists - the subject was newborn nursery issues, one of which was
breastfeeding.  Unfortunately for the docs attending, the breastfeeding
portion of the lecture was way out of date and full of misinformation.
[We're talking "stop breastfeeding for 24 hrs for mastitis"  "blow dry your
nipples" "there's no evidence that birth control pills affect milk supply"
"there's no evidence that pacifiers influence breastfeeding" "nurse 8-10
minutes per side" "limit non-nutritive sucking especially at the beginning -
you don't want the baby to use you for a pacifier"  "stools aren't
important - just make sure baby is voiding" - I could go on but I won't]

They allowed a few questions/comments, and one doc (bless her) got up and
corrected much of what this lecturer said - but questions were quickly
curtailed after that. The audience could see me going berzerk in the front
row shaking my head, but I never got an opportunity to speak.

I kept wishing Jan Barger was there.

Yes, I'm writing a letter about it to someone in the AAP [when my ulcer
quiets down] but I can't help feeling like we just took a big step
backwards.

Gail
Gail Hertz MD, IBCLC
[who usually likes to teach docs about breastfeeding]