From:
Kate Hallberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 11:53:45 -0800
sorry I have no sources on this, but I recall hearing a few years ago
that often some of the ill effects that people experience following
surgery are due to the morning of surgery fast.  The fast of course
includes no coffee, and for the addicts out there, we know how awful
missing htat cup can make us feel.  I need one latte/day, and that's
all I need, but I know if I don't have it or if my Grandmother-in-law
substitutes decaffienated and I don't know it.

When I went into labor with my second I went to the hospital at dawn.
I had arranged for no buf cap, but the nurse wanted to do one anyway.
I told her "ok, but not until I've had a cup of coffee".  Apparently
that shocked her.  By the time I had my coffee, my ob showed up and
reiterated that I didn't need a buf cap.

Another thing about surgery that I've not seen documented but have
heard about anecdotally, and seen it in myself is that it can cause
depression.  I have experience this following all surgeries, including
a c-section.  Thankfully I was warned of this before surgery years
ago, or the resulting depression would have felt even worse than it
did, following "elective" varicose vein surgery.  (before children,
btw. )

Oh- sorry about that last post to kim going to thelist- meant to go
privately.

==

Kate Hallberg, mom to Ursula (wow! 4) and Sage (1.5)
http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~kolina
"It is the job of the physician to find health, anyone can find disease"
- A.T.Still, "Philosophy of Osteopathy",1886
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ridge/8193/