From:
Patty Bell-Usher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 2010 10:48:10 -0700
I have mother's permission to post.  The mother of a 29 day old baby
complains of nipple pain with letdown which is relieved after 1 to 2
minutes.  The pain is needle like, sharp and shooting on the side baby
is nursing on.  The nonnursing breast has burning pain.  It is worse on
her right breast than her left.  It is worse the fuller her breast is
and the longer between feeds.  There is some pain with latching, but the
most pain is with letdown.  This started at birth and has persisted
throughout the baby's 29 days.  Both she and the baby were examined and
no thrush was found.  There is no visible trauma to the nipples.  This
is her 3rd child and she has near perfect nipples, no inversion or
flattening.  This problem was not present with her first 2 babies.
After observing a feeding, I felt the baby has somewhat of a munching
pattern and could benefit from a deeper latch.  Her lower lip isn't
"fished out" as much as I would like.  Also, mom didn't have the baby
completely belly-to-belly.  We talked about how to correct those things.
I also suggested that she hand express or pump to get her letdown
started without the baby and see what her pain level is.  Does anyone
else have some thoughts?

Patty Bell Usher, RD, CDE, CLC

Program Coordinator

Diabetes Self Management Program