Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2009 11:27:38 -0500
Brenda has informed us of the formula company name badge holders being
distributed to staff on her unit. I have written and lectured a lot
about these types of marketing tactics and how hospital staff is being
used as salespeople to market formula to their patients. The first
thing I would do is check with your corporate compliance department to
see if this violates any hospital policy about advertising products to
patients. NABA's publication "Still Selling Out Mothers and Babies" has
a lengthy discussion with references on the influence of these trinkets
on hospital staff. You need to look at vendor policies and contact your
ethics committee.

An old Abbott Nutritional (then Ross) training manual stated, "Ross
Hospital Feeding System is designed to provide an early and convenient
means of getting started on Similac...and ultimately sent home with
instructions that they continue to use Similac." "Never underestimate
the importance of nurses. If they are sold and serviced properly, they
can be strong allies. A nurse who supports Ross is like an extra
salesperson." Show staff this statement of how formula companies view
nurses. Peddling pricey products to vulnerable patients by nurses who
should know better cheapens the nursing profession. I wonder if your
CEO knows about this practice and if it is in line with the mission of
the hospital.

Please send me one of these badges and any other materials from formula
companies as NABA monitors Code violations in the US. These examples
are important as we work to eliminate these practices.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC

254 Conant Rd

Weston, MA 02493