From:
Christine Pillado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 22:55:29 EDT
We received a phone call from a RN who is working with a mother of a 5 day
old baby who is in the ICU undergoing diagnosis for seizures.  At this point the
baby is on phenobarbital and was NPO initially but is now taking EBM from a
bottle.  Mom is pumping Q 2hrs with a hospital grade pump.
We will see mother tomorrow and, hopefully, will have more info. from the
tests etc.
Baby was NPO b/c there was concern about choking, not sure why they are doing
bottle vs. straight from breast.  We will address that tomorrow.
The concern right now is that the med. is making baby so sleepy that he does
not maintain a latch.  We will show staff and mother how to finger feed and
possibly use an SNS if we can get baby to latch long enough to maintain flow.
Wondering if anyone has worked with a newborn with seizures before and what
other info / methods we can try and/or suggest to the neurologist and nursing
staff?  Have checked multiple references (Riordan, Lawrence etc.) and find only
info about mother's with seizures.
Please respond off list to [log in to unmask]
Thanks in advance.
Christie Pillado