From:
Karen Seroussi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 09:54:36 -0800
Lisa,

  I'm looking at this from the perspective of the mother's health.  Students that have medical conditions have those concerns attended to at school when the care must occur at that time, for instance, needing to take ritalin (medication for ADHD) or insulin. In fact, the office at schools in some areas regularly dispenses the meds the students need.  If this teen is a breastfeeding mother, her breasts need to be emptied during the school day becase failing to do so would endanger her health.  I don't see how Medical documentation could be ignored?  Legal aid might be helpful to also include a letter with the physician note commenting on the medical need.

  Any chance the baby can come to her at lunch or she can go to baby, then problem would be eliminated?  I'd also probaby have a discussion with her about what to expect so she understands that her baby will need to eat and be cuddled extra when she is at home.

  Karen Seroussi, LLLL, IBCLC, MS-2