From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 16:31:08 EST
In a message dated 10/25/2003 4:05:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
How do we add another
advocacy issue to our plates and stay sane?  Don't know.......except that
maybe just maybe if we quote from the patents by the infant formula industry
on
the marvelous abilities of human milk, we might convince some mothers that the
"battle" to breastfeed is worth all our efforts. [It shouldn't be a battle but
that is what it seems like...]
HI Valerie,
There is so much in your note to digest...............
Regarding body parts and fluids that we seem to not have a legal leg to stand
on once it has been taken from our body, it seems that there should at least
be an ethical issue here.

Regarding our next step.  Somehow convincing mothers and parents that breast
milk is best doesn't have a big punch.  The formula industry likes an educated
consumer so there product is more appealing.
These are just my thoughts to advocate for breastfeeding: by looking at the
approach of letting the public know how body fluids are obtained, also continue
informing the public on how formula companies make these patents.  The public
needs to know about algae, fish eyes, degrees of contaminants in the industry
and recalls.  Along with that all the negative reactions babies have to
formula.  This is the kind of information that the public needs to see to open
their eyes that formula is not almost as good as the other stuff.
Ann Perry RN, IBCLC
Boston, MA