From:
Barbara Latterner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 20:19:04 EDT
Would like some input on this one, please.
Five month old who lately nurses with his finger in his mouth.  I tend to
think this baby, who exhibits signs of sensory integration disorder anyway,
is in need of more oral stimulation than breast provides.  (tends to get
frustrated when can't put toys all the way in his mouth, often sweats with
BFing, etc).

Just wondering if perhaps others have seen this behavior and if it's
associated with more "normal" behavior, like teething.  I do know older
children who are being treated for speech disorders who tend to overstuff
their mouths when easting due to lack of oral receptiveness-this infants
behavior seems similiar.

Mom, BTW, is unreceptive at this time to OT, Speech eval.  This little guy is
a cuddler (conforms well when held) but has had frenotomy for moderate
ankyloglossia, about 3 1/2 mos ago, and is currently being treated for GER.
Have instructed mom in tongue and suck exercises in the past and suggested
Cathy Genna's treatments for oral stimulation/sensitizing but at this point
since BF no longer painful about 2 weeks post frenotomy, mom isn't keen on
further treatments.

I'll keep gently suggesting but just want to know if I'm on the right track.
Thanks.

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC
Brewster, NY