From:
Lois Englberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Oct 1998 17:58:56 -0700
I would be interested in views of Lactneters on the issue of Wet Nursing.

Last August, there were several postings on the issue of HIV and Infant
Feeding
and the new UN policy that HIV infected mothers be advised not to
breastfeed.  A point has been made that more emphasis might be made on
infant feeding options other than that of commercial infant formula. I then
started looking informally at the wet-nursing practices here in Micronesia
and the Pacific.  Many women here wet-nurse, especially among relatives,
but it is done quietly, as health professionals discourage it, despite
their still being no HIV/AIDS in this country.  Some mothers  shared
with me how they often wet nursed their daughter's
babies, when their daughter went out for a social event, or to work.
Others explained how sisters or other relatives share (that is their term
for it)  their breast milk with
the infants that they are caring for, and how it used to be even more
common, especially in the case of a mother's death.  Mothers  wanted to
know whether it is a practice that they should continue with.

I tried looking at the Lactnet
Archives but found nothing, though I tried using various search words.  I
did find helpful information  in Gabrielle Palmer's book The Politics of
Breastfeeding.

I understand that the official view of La Leche League is not positive
towards wet nursing, but that individual LLL'ers might be positive to
it.  I would be interested in the advice and policies of other
breastfeeding organizations, as well as others in Lactnet working in this
area, and from anyone who might know of recent research on it.  Could it be
that the health profession is discouraging wet nursing without substantial
research documenting  health problems associated with it?  On the other
hand, what are the health concerns that one should be aware of if wet
nursing is being considered?  I am aware of
the problems associated with it and HIV/AIDS and also that there is a small
risk of a wet nurse contracting HIV from an HIV infected baby.

I look forward to views on this, thanks for any help.

Lois Englberger, MNS
Pohnpei, Federated States of Micronesia
E-mail:       [log in to unmask]