From:
Kathy Bowers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 18:50:08 -0800
Dear Friends,  Since my first and only post to Lactnet in September, I
have been content to just read and enjoy your comments.  Now, however, I
have to ask if any of you have any info on Ceftizoxime sodium?  A mom one
week post partum was admitted to another unit in our hospital with
complaint of severe abdominal pain.  She had delivered her baby by
c-section at another hospital.  She had asked the patient care supervisor
of the unit, where she had been admitted, for some formula.  That is
where I came in.  None of the nurses, nor the PCS knew that our hospital
has a lactation consultant (a position that I have held for 3 years now).
They were expecting to simply get formula for this mom, who by the way is
keeping her baby in the room with her.  The mom has an elevated WBC and
there is some indication that she may have gall bladder involvement and
perhaps appendix involvement...whatever that means.  To make a long story
short,  the doctor ordered a course of Clindamycin IV and Cefazox (2gm q
12hrs IV).  The pharmacist was consulted by a nurse who was unaware of my
consultation.  The pharmacist, also unaware of our hospital LC, referred
to his book (Not Hale's tho I have given them a copy!) and informed the
nurse that breastfeeding was contraindicated in the use of both
antibiotics.  The baby was breastfed before the infusion of these
antibiotics, however, the nurse is waiting to hear from me before allowing
the baby to breastfeed again.  TIA for a speedy response to my above
address.  Sincerely, Kathy Bowers, R.N., I.B.C.L.C.