From:
Anne Andrianos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2008 21:05:00 -0400
I wanted to share an experience I had last weekend. I had the opportunity to
present at a SIDS-Pennsylvania conference in Pittsburgh. With me was a
mother who had lost her baby to SIDS (exclusively breastfeeding at 4 months)
and a conflict resolution trainer. The topic was "BF Advocates and Safe Sleep
Advocates: Can't we get along?" About 40 nurses, doctors, reporters, home
visitors, helath educators, program planners were in attendance. It was a
frank sharing of concern about the conflict between our positions and how it
keeps us at a distance, keeps us from truly educating parents about all facets
of safe and dangerous sleeping arrangements. The high point was a slide
prepared by the SIDS mother about the recommendations made by the AAP,
Dr. McKenna, Dr. Sears and ABM...which are just about the same (only 2
conflicting points). The suggestion was  made to invite members of the BF
community to work on public education campaigns, participate on committees
to give voice on BF issues, to function as colleagues.

The response to the presentation was good...indeed, some could see how
important it is to work together, spread the word about BOTH safe sleep and
breastfeeding. There was interest in compromise, finding common ground, etc.

So, if you LLLLs or IBCLCs in Western PA get a call to come to a SIDS/Safe
Sleep meeting, I hope you will accept the invitation. Bring a resource list that
the SIDS educator can take to a prenatal class or use in the hospital. It is
time to work together. Hope you agree! Anne Andrianos, IBCLC, LLLL, Safe
Sleep Educator, NYS Center for SID