Date:
Tue, 29 Dec 2009 20:06:50 -0500
 I have worked with a postpartum mother who had diabetes insipidus and was tempted to post the identical question to Lactnet myself!

Probably because like yourself I could not find any literature related to this condition and lactation.

The mother I worked with had been on medication for a time, and was considered stable enough to discontinue the meds during pregnancy. She did not provide me information regarding her condition during my consult, I came across it as I reviewed her H&P. Interestingly she was very dry mouthed during my visit with her, but that is not so uncommon for postpartum women sometimes due to side effects of pain meds they may take or they are susceptible to being slightly dehydrated...

Regardless, the only insight I can share is this mother returned to our outpatient lactation clinic between 72-96 hours following birth with no milk beyond some droplets, even with pumping, and an infant with excessive weight loss. I initially saw her inpatient somewhere around 36-48 hours following delivery. Her baby was LGA and highly agitated during her stay, and at the time I saw her inpatient had normal voids and stools and typical weight loss. I returned to her room to discuss her condition and how it may feasibly play a role in lactation. At her outpatient appt. she chose to supplement at the breast with SNS as infant would latch well. Plus implementing all the other things for insufficient milk.... People with diabetes insipidus are at risk for hypernatremia so that was something that kind of sent me searching for clues on its potential relation to lactation.

My experience hardly constitutes any research or even a case study, but that's how it turned out for her. She was otherwise healthy and had no other lactation risk factors. I can't say for certain the outcome was a result of the insipidus, but I also can't say it was not.....

I'd love to hear if you or someone else learns more!

Michelle H. Kinne BA IBCLC RLC ICCE CD(DONA)
www.CascadePerinatalServices.com

I received a call from a physician of a mother as well as the mother herself who
has been diagnosed with diabetes insipidus. I know that prolactin secretion is
affected by a number of hormones including oxytocin and vasopressin (the
antidiuretic hormone). Diabetes insipidus results from a deficiency in the
secretion of vasopressin from the posterior pituitary or the inability of the
kidney to respond to the hormone. The mother talked of excessive urine output
and I am wondering if this large disturbance in water and electrolyte regulation
is going to adversely impact sucking-induced prolactin release and ultimately
this mother's milk production. What should we be recommending in the way of
breastfeeding management guidelines. Are there medications that this mother will
be placed on that are of concern? I have not seen this condition for awhile and
am looking for current treatment guidelines and any of your collective
experiences with this.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA