Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 2010 12:07:05 EDT
Marsha and all,

In this discussion, it's great to have a Pediatrics article to refer  to.
Educating about safer artificial feeding is not easy. Having a US "MD"
reference makes me feel like someone might actually take what I say seriously.
It goes in my bag today. So many moms, for so many reasons, do not have
enough  of their own milk to feed their babies when I first walk in their home.
They  have to eat something, and as has been said, unless there is a family
history of  Type 1 Diabetes, etc. a "standard cow's milk-based formula" is
appropriate. I  don't mention brand names, but do bring up marketing claims of
big differences  which are not real. I also mention that the DHA can cause
stomach upset, so they  may want to check how much DHA has been "added", if
their baby seems  uncomfortable. Also that since it is added without the
benefit of the many other  synergistic ingredients in mother's own milk, we
don't know what the "right  dose" would be. I also mention that DHA is not
organic even in "organic"  formulas ( at this time, anyway, in the US). Nor has
it been shown to be of any  benefit for full-term, healthy babies,
especially if they are getting any of  mom's own milk at all. The information about
heating up water sufficiently to  kill any bacteria in powdered formula is
always something no one has ever told  them. ( Many of the babies I see were
born at between 28 and 36 weeks, and home  so fast I'm shocked, without any
real guidance about what that might mean.) It  sometimes feels like moms
think I make this up just to make formula feeding  harder on them. I hope this
article will help them understand I am concerned  about their baby's health.
Period.

Thanks for the discussion and reference,
Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL
Brooklyn, NY,  USA