From:
Mary Jozwiak IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 08:54:32 -0400
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Just one thought. Has anyone checked her thyroid? I had really low thyroid
>after one of my children's birth, and that made my cholesterol SHOOT up.
>Kathleen
>
>At 10:28 AM 05/16/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>>I am counseling a 33 year old mother with a total cholesterol reading of
>>213. Triglycerides tested 267! Before this pregnancy (her second) her
>>cholesterol was in the normal range.
>

>Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet, Indep. Consultant

Thank you Kathleen, that was my FIRST thought, as mom was having
palpitations and sweating, which prompted her to go to the doctor in the
first place.

She has had a complete Thyroid panel and was told everything was "normal."
I am STILL thinking thyroid, though! She is not my first client who had
"normal" thyroid tests only to test low later. Her doctor is willing to
test her again in a month.

She has decided not to take the statins and to approach with watchful
waiting. She is under a great deal of stress (a toddler with Down's, other
home related pressures) and although her symptoms seem to have faded for
now, she agrees to retesting both cholesterol and thyroid in a month or so.
She still thinks her levels of cholesterol could be due to the recent
breastfeeding.

Thank you

Mary Jozwiak IBCLC, LLLL,