Date:
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 14:10:12 -0500
Kathy A. wrote:
>Would it be possible, could we please, post something POSITIVE about
>breastfeeding, lactation consulting for the next couple of days?

Here is a POSITIVE question :) from a mother who is doing well
breastfeeding her 5 week old baby, but when she pumps with the Pump In
Style, (for the past week) her nipples turn "blue." She says that she must
use the MED setting in order to get milk.  She has "fairly large breasts"
and her nipples do touch the mouth of the flange. She is not using the insert.

I suggested that she apply a thin coat of olive oil inside this part of the
flange.

I don't know what she means be blue nipples.  She called from the BNN
referral and if the oil doesn't resolve the problem I'll see her.

Any other ideas?

And for a truly POSITIVE word.  I, too, was really dragging this week,
wondering why I persist in hitting my head against these walls. Then I got
a call from a mother who said, "Pat, you don't have to return my call, but
I want you to know that your help with breastfeeding my baby, "C", three
months ago has brought me so much joy.  He is doing so well and I just love
breastfeeding.  Again, you don't have to call me back; I just want to say
thank you. I couldn't have done it without you."

I danced around for a bit, and kicked that old wall, and said to it, "NYAH
NYAH!"

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Upper Midwest USA

mailto:[log in to unmask]