From:
Sandy Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Dec 1995 22:02:02 -0500
Happy Holidays fellow Lactnetters!

    I have missed keeping up with Lactnet for a month or so, but download
every 1-2 days and try to scan topics.  I am trying to catch up!

    I have been working with a mom that  has 2 1/2 wk old twins and a 16 mos
old.  She nursed her first child for 3 weeks, had problems, couldn't find
help, got frustrated and regretfully quit.  This baby never was too
interested in eating, was sleepy, etc., according to mom.  She really wanted
to try BF again, but tried to set a realistic goal and take things one day at
a time--especially with twins!  Baby A nurses at the breast, without
problems, but B is just now getting some interest toward latching on. Mom has
been using nursing supplementer tube & syringe feeding, without much success.
 While A is nursing, the other side is gushing and mom needs towel to soak it
up.  After feeding A, mom would pump (electric) 3 oz from other side. When
she saw how soaked the towel was, she decided to pump while feeding A.  This
way she gets 6-8 oz--OR MORE! (She said she had to switch to a bigger
collection bottle because sometimes it would fill up!).  She is really having
difficulty feeding A, pumping other side, AND keeping 16 mos old at bay, all
at the same time!  Does anyone have any ideas on how she can collect the milk
on the non-nursing side?  She would rather pump after feeding A, but doesn't
want to lose that milk--especially now that B is taking more & more from EHM
bottle.  She's going to try taping a plastic baggie on to see if that might
work, for lack of any other ideas.  I told her that milk supply should adjust
in a few weeks, but how about some suggestions in the meantime?  With the
electric pump, all she has to do it hold it there, but that's still something
else to do while everything else is going on!  If anyone has ANY suggestions
or words of lactation/mother wisdom, please post or email me privately!
TIA!!!

Sandy Arnold, IBCLC