From:
Rachael Barlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 20:58:34 -0500

>I wonder how many mothers would be quite happy to feed their babies 100
>times a day if they understood that it was normal and good for their
babies.
>Perhaps, rather than teaching mothers OTHER ways to calm an unhappy baby,
we
>should be helping them see how easy it is to incorporate very frequent
>nursing into their daily life.

I understand/assume that Dr. Karp is not advocating nursing as a last
resort - it's one of the s's - probably the first for most people. Except of
course, for those poor babies/mom's whom nursing is uncomfortable either due
to the fire-hose effect or due to tongue-tie or for any other reason.

I too was concerned that Dr. Karp was advocating the 5 s's instead of
solving the real problem. His replies impressed me that this is not what he
means. Perhaps if there is confusion on this, a re-read of the past posts
would be helpful.

Bottom line is that the Mom is the one who should know which tool to pull
out of her bag. It's really great to empower her with all kinds of info -
including that nursing 24/7 is normal AND the other 4 s's.

Rachael Barlow