Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2007 18:11:25 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (36 lines)
Dear Friends
The lactation community here in CT and around the world lost a dear friend and colleague 
this week.  Barbara Ackerman from Yale New Haven Hospital, instrumental in assisting 
hundreds-perhaps thousands-of mothers and  babies  to breastfeed under the most 
difficult of circumstances, died last night at Yale New Haven Hospital after a short illness.
Barbara worked as an RN in the NICU.  I was extremely fortunate to have my son Peter, 
born at 25 weeks gestational age, at Yale, and requested the transfer there because I 
knew Barbara was there, and if the baby lived, she would help me breastfeed.  Not only 
did he live, he thrived on mother's milk;  he came home exclusively breastfeeding.  At 
the time, almost 22 years ago, Barbara assisted me with Peter's first feeding at the 
breast less than a week after he came off the respirator, at about 2 1/4 pounds and  
about 5 weeks  of age.  We thought, for the time, that was remarkable.
Barbara was one of the listed authors on the original research on reglan.  She was always 
willing to speak to a mother that I referred, and spoke also to LLL leaders in the state 
when they had questions which no one else seemed able to answer.  In this way, she 
mentored us all.  She received one of the first CT LLL awards for the medical profession 
because she was so generous to us all with her time and knowledge. 
I know that everyone who knew her, whose lives she touched in one way or another, will 
feel this loss.
Arrangements are not set at this time.  If you wish more information, please e-mail me 
directly.

Ellen Kadden MA, IBCLC
The Stamford Hospital
Stamford, CT
and Fairfield, CT

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2