From:
Ellen Kadden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2007 18:11:25 -0400
Dear Friends
The lactation community here in CT and around the world lost a dear friend and colleague
this week.  Barbara Ackerman from Yale New Haven Hospital, instrumental in assisting
hundreds-perhaps thousands-of mothers and  babies  to breastfeed under the most
difficult of circumstances, died last night at Yale New Haven Hospital after a short illness.
Barbara worked as an RN in the NICU.  I was extremely fortunate to have my son Peter,
born at 25 weeks gestational age, at Yale, and requested the transfer there because I
knew Barbara was there, and if the baby lived, she would help me breastfeed.  Not only
did he live, he thrived on mother's milk;  he came home exclusively breastfeeding.  At
the time, almost 22 years ago, Barbara assisted me with Peter's first feeding at the
breast less than a week after he came off the respirator, at about 2 1/4 pounds and
about 5 weeks  of age.  We thought, for the time, that was remarkable.
Barbara was one of the listed authors on the original research on reglan.  She was always
willing to speak to a mother that I referred, and spoke also to LLL leaders in the state
when they had questions which no one else seemed able to answer.  In this way, she
mentored us all.  She received one of the first CT LLL awards for the medical profession
because she was so generous to us all with her time and knowledge.
I know that everyone who knew her, whose lives she touched in one way or another, will
feel this loss.
Arrangements are not set at this time.  If you wish more information, please e-mail me
directly.

Ellen Kadden MA, IBCLC
The Stamford Hospital
Stamford, CT