Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 07:35:41 -0500
>Ultrasounds are also not conclusive.  Even very small pieces can suppress
>milk supply, and be missed by ultrasound.

I have asked about this on Lactnet before and didn't get a definitive
answer.  Is there no way to discover a retained placenta other than
performing a D&C and looking at the contents? What about blood tests to
examine progesterone levels?

I have had a couple of clients whose milk supplies were not adequate, OB
refused to consider retained placenta, who went on to require a D&C only to
find a small piece of placenta.

I'm sure that most of the placental pieces just re-absorb without notice,
but when it interferes with breastfeeding, we need a diagnostic technique
to discover it early. This technique has probably not been developed
because of a lack of "need."

One writer here said that hers was found with ultrasound, what about anyone
else?

Pat Gima, BCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]