From:
Marian Rigney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 17:22:50 +1000
This week I have had dealings with a mother whose 12 week premature baby was
transferred back from a tertiary centre recently at six weeks of age.  Baby
is now seven weeks old and mother apparently had very poor supply from the
beginning-- about 40 mls daily.  She has always expressed very regularly.
She had been given a script for Domperidone prior to babies transfer to us
but had not started it because she stated had not been told anything about
Domperidone except she should take it.  We provided her with info and she
was more than happy to take it along with trying cluster expressing to boost
her supply and supply came up to 120 mls daily, not a fantastic supply but a
big improvement on what it had been. This is where I  sat down to talk with
her to see if there was anything further she could do.  It eventuated that
she was still bleeding heavily and passing clots.  She went for a currette
today for retained placental products.  My question is, has anybody
experienced cases like this, where supply did improve significantly after 7
weeks following a currette?  My comment is we can NEVER assume all bases
have been covered in the previous several weeks at another hospital.  This
is a mother who deserves to fully breast feed because she has put in the
effort day and night for weeks.
Marian Rigney IBCLC