From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Oct 2015 00:17:14 -0400
Since you are in Canada I would put this mother in touch with Dr. Jack
Newman. He is a board certified pediatrician and a feeding expert.  No baby
should be denied the comfort of his mother's touch and feeding anytime,
when the baby is not gaining weight, unless there is a danger to the baby
receiving milk, would be a real comfort to both mom and baby.  It's
situations like this where babies are prohibited from being close to their
mother because someone thinks babies don't NEED to eat at night ... this
makes me want to vomit. I do not know this situation well enough to comment
on what is happening with calories, syndromes, etc. and I am not a
physician. However, the humanity of this situation needs to be taken into
account much more than it seems to be from reading this synopsis.  Reminds
me of the time my own 10 month old had intussusception. After it was
reduced by the radiologist, WITHOUT pain medication (barbaric! what adult
would STAND FOR THAT). ?  I am a pediatric nurse, and at the time, I was
not so politely requesting pain medication and that it be gotten for her
stat, and by the time she got it, she had passed out from the pain and
stress. In any case, after the reduction (and I had worked on this floor) I
was told I could not breastfeed, nor could I breastfeed on a dry pumped
breast despite my studies that I had in hand from my colleagues..but she
was not NPO and could have ginger ale, apple juice, or Coke. ..and the
recommendation was that I leave her there with my husband, .... and I said,
you obviously have no children, as no one in their right mind would leave a
traumatized 10 mo old when they need you the most. I pumped my breast every
2 hours and fed her on the dry breast, instead of ginger ale, as I figured
she was not NPO, so if the blockage reoccurred, she was going to have
fluids on board and it was better off being breastmilk if there was going
to be anything getting near her lungs.

In the morning, I was told to leave, since I was uncompliant. I took her IV
out, and left, ... and changed pediatricians because the practice did not
stand up for me against the resident and attending surgeons, and it was
utterly ridiculous, and a contest of who had the bigger ...well, set of
READING glasses to read studies, and that was definitely me.

We bolted,... and she was fine, but there was no need for the inhumanity
part to occur.

Kathleen

Kathleen B. Bruce RN BSN IBCLC

HeritageWoolSamplers