Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 2014 11:52:59 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
I was thinking about this the other day, more reminiscing about my own births (my children range from 26 to 19).

One thing I find interesting is that all my children were put skin to skin after birth, not just my youngest who was born at home.  I was thinking I just thought I remembered correctly, then found the pics so apprarently wasn't imagining things.

We still "fight" to have baby kept skin to skin instead of a warmer.  That was the one battle with my oldest that I "lost."  Yet even then the knowledge was there that baby kept skin to skin would be stable.

Maybe it was because my girls were born in an in-hospital birth center, outside L&D because those births weren't "sterile," lol.  My OB was supportive, births were unmedicated.  L&D nurse with the first was a midwife, second went on to become a midwife.  I don't know if the lactation consultant was an IBCLC; I do remember that she wasn't a nurse and that created some challenges because the staff didn't quite know what to do with her.

I'm at least as unsettled by the changes in birh as I am with the continued challenges with hospital practices concerning breastfeeding.  I encourage my daughters to give birth at home, have a doula, etc.

Mary Wagner-Davis, MS, IBCLC
Roseville, CA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2