Date:
Sun, 25 Apr 1999 18:46:09 EDT
Sarah asks the question "what would be the best new profession" to choose to
have the greatest impact on nursing mothers/mothers to be.  My children are
still young (3.5 and 5.5 years old) but I have been thinking of slowly going
"back to school" for my RN.  It is a scary proposition, I have a BA in
History (think of all the job opportunities for me in 1985 -not- but I
studied what I loved and never regretted my choices).  I cooked
professionally for almost ten years before my first child.  That is, I cooked
and people not only said Thank You but they handed me money and didn't
request to have macaroni and cheese out of a blue box instead of my homemade
vegetarian chili as my children now do ;-)
  I saw myself initially in a hospital setting, but think I would have more
impact (and more reasonable hours) in a pediatrician's office.  I might
regret not having paid attention to CEUs these last four years, but I could
still be the "nurse who helps moms to bf".  It does seem far off, but it
pleases me to think of myself using my skills as a LLL Leader and Mom in an
actual paid profession.

Lisa Jones, LLLL in Wellington FL