Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 2010 22:09:02 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
 'I have heard' from a neo recently that some professionals in 'their group' are questioning the liability potential of utilizing the expressed milk of a mother that tested positive for 'illicit drugs' upon admission. The argument I heard being made is that the neo was concerned about being perceived as 'encouraging/approving' the administration of expressed milk that may contain illicit drugs by the RN and what type of liability circumstance use of this milk may become for the RN.

Don't shoot the messenger, but it seems complicated to me and we are verging on some human rights issues here for both baby and mother. 

So what constitutes an illicit drug varies from vicinity to vicinity I am sure. 

This is a very muddy issue. What constitutes 'abuse and neglect' can at times be subject to interpretation. And in my state for example, although THC is illegal, consumption of THC in pregnancy alone is not a reportable 'offense' meaning child protective services in my state will not take a report for a mother who is +THC during pregnancy or upon admission. 

Michelle H. Kinne BA IBCLC RLC ICCE CD(DONA)
www.CascadePerinatalServices.com

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2