From:
Rose Balasco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 1996 08:04:36 -0400

> Today I met with a doctor
>who said that his patient would start on Low dose Coumadin for a past
>history of  DVT.(deep vein thrombosis). He has checked with the
>heomatologist and the peiatrician. Neither feel that it is a problem for the
>mom to BF. My understanding has always been Heperin is OK but Coumadin is
>not. Has this changed? What should I look for in the infant?

I have some personal experience with this. I developed DVT's in both legs
extending to the inferior vena cava after the birth of my first daughter 11
yrs. I was initially on heparin and then discharged on coumadin. I continued
to fed my daughter throughout. My personal physician tried to get me to stop
but I called my pediatrician for his advice and he said there was absolutely
no problem with it. At my physicians insistence he agreed to do a PTT(orPT? I
get them confused) on my daughter after two weeks of therapy. At a time when
my level was high enough to require my dosage to be lowered, hers was
perfectly normal and she never had any troubles. I was on the coumadin for 9
months and she was breastfed the entire time.
With my second daughter, I was on heparin through the pregnancy and until my
6 week check up, with no problems. Again she was totally breastfed.
It is my understanding that coumadin is not okay during pregnancy(can pass
through the placenta and is harmful in utero) but doesn't  pass into the milk
at least not at a harmful level.
Hope this helps!
Rose Balasco
(from Altoona PA on a beautiful spring day--finally!!!!)
[log in to unmask]  or