Date:
Sat, 7 Apr 2001 16:31:06 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

> In our hospital, one doctor wants the babies NPO after 6am (they get
> circumcised on morning rounds around 0730-0800).  None of the others
> require this.  In fact, we have taken babies off the breast (sorry about
> that) to be circed, then returned them immediately to nurse some more.  We
> have never had a problem with aspiration.

In our facility the  babies are NPO as yours are prior to the circs, then for
30 minutes afterwards as many scream in vain for comfort. When they are
assessed after 30 minutes, THEN the babies go out to their moms. Has always
seemed to be an exceptionally cruel policy to me.

Gretchen Andrews, BA, IBCLC
So. Calif, USA