From:
Rhoda Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 10:48:32 -0700
I am not at my office at the moment so can't quote the part of the WHO Code
on Infant Feeding but hopefully someone better informed out there can
provide the information. It was my belief that there is a statement about
bottlefeeding not being taught in a class but in a small group/preferably
one on one.  This was a tremendous bone of contention locally and for
several years I did not teach the prenatal 'infant feeding' class in one
community as a result. As that community is now working at becoming baby
friendly (and is TRYING to interpret it as BF Community not just BF
Hospital) the policy is now to teach breastfeeding in prenatal classes and
bottle feeding individually by public health nurses or maternity nurses with
follow up by public health as needed.   It has been the experience locally
that this gives a better level of understanding for the parents who
choose/require to bottle feed.

Am I misinterpreting the Code?

Rhoda Taylor, B.A., I.B.C.L.C., Vancouver Island, Canada

Help celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human
Rights.
                            Visit www.amnesty.ca