From:
natasha sears <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2008 21:09:48 -0700
I am quite surprised at the complete lack of concern for the comfort and needs of both mother and baby in this post.  I would suggest that the unit supervisor and possibly even risk management be notified of the blatant disregard for the rights of this family.  I realize that this may seem extreme, however, I think that this is something that needs "nipped in the bud" immediately.  The staff here ought to be more supportive of this mothers effort to maximize her baby's health and their breastfeeding beginnings.  I work in a hospital that claims to be BF friendly, but have also witnessed (as a BSN student) an RN toss a breast shield at a mother and say "Use this" without instruction or education of any sort.  I would also agree that these are the same staff who probably witnessed this mother give birth and completed her daily BUBBLE assessments, therefore her "lewdness" should not be an issue for them.  How sad.

Natasha Sears, LPN
AND Aspiring RN, LC