From:
Christina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2007 07:07:53 -0700
On 6/10/07, Rachel Myr wrote:

> I've never heard of a baby being put on prophylactic antibiotics for this.
> Never.  Certainly not without a single episode of infection.

Rachel... very interesting post!  Having worked in a step down NICU for
awhile now, I can tell you that almost every single baby I've ever run into
with hydronephrosis is ALWAYS put on prophylactic amoxicillin.  I never knew
the course was likely a couple of years, but have always heard that they'd
be on it "for a long time".  These babies get once daily dosing.  I have
always questioned this practice.  Like Jacqui, it just doesn't sit right
with me and if I was the mother, I'd be asking the same questions she is.
Something about being on antibiotics for two years just sounds completely
wrong.  While it MAY prevent urinary tract and kidney infections, I also
wonder what it does to the immune system, liver, and rest of the body.  And
how much more prone with these infants be to candida overgrowth?

Anyone else have any insight into this?

Christina Harris, RN
Seattle, WA