From:
Lydia de Raad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Aug 2016 23:54:11 +0200
Just out of curiosity: how many IBCLC's are there on the planet and how many of them are a member of ILCA? I know, for instance, Europe has its own LC-organisation (ELACTA) and European LC's hardly ever go to the US.

I also think that even the IBCLC-profession itself is based on US-society and US-healthcare systems. Things are organised different around the world.......

I am involved with the international part of La Leche League for around 20 years now. Language is a huge issue. Language is culture, culture is language. Dutch (my mothertongue) is nót translated English and for people with no other languages in their backpack, it is hardly possible to understand how the grammar of a sentence and the words you use are só related to your culture.

Is anyone of you familiair with the work of Geert Hofstede? He has developed a tool to describe cultures. Mostly used in businesses, but nevertheless very interesting.

http://www.geerthofstede.nl/dimensions-of-national-cultures

Lydia, LLL, Netherlands