From:
Margery Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 13:26:59 -0400
I am working with a woman who is doing great with breastfeeding. She is anorexic/bulemic, is > 38 years old, conceived this first baby using
fertility drugs. She's an alcoholic, and currently admits to having 3 glasses of wine per day. She is taking 500 mg Lamictal (Lamotrigene) daily
(split into 2 doses); 0.15 mg Levoxyl daily; 250 mg Zoloft (Sertraline) per day (split into two doses). The baby is being evaluated for fetal alcohol
syndrome as a heart murmer was detected at the end of week one. The baby looks well and is gaining weight appropriately. This patient had
prescriptions for Naproxen (1000 mg split into two doses) and Risperdal (1 mg per day) but she says she is not presently using these on a
regular basis.

As you can imagine, the various providers who work with this woman and her baby have concerns about the medicines during lactation. I have
read all that I can, and have privately contacted Tom Hale and his colleague, but wonder if any Lactnetters have input?

Thanks,
Margery Wilson, IBCLC