From:
Denise Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 00:21:33 -0400
Just thought I would update you on the mom I posted about a few months ago
that was on MS Contin for kidney and gall stones. She delivered a healthy
boy last Saturday.  She had been able to decrease from 360mg/day to
160mg/day before delivery.  He did well for about 14 hours, then showed
signs of withdrawal.  He was started on MS elixir and went home with mom and
dad on Monday.  He is having some problem with tongue disorganization but
overall is feeding pretty well according to mom and is having good output.
I will do her home visit tomorrow.  They will do a slow wean according to
symptoms.  She was originally taken off her MS Contin "so she could
breastfeed"?? (I wasn't there until Sunday).  She knew better because we had
discussed the whole scenerio many times but there was "on call" doctors
there-wouldn't you know she would deliver on a weekend!.  Got her back on it
before she went through too much withdrawl and her major complaint today was
hemmorrhoids!
She is planning to have surgery in 3-4 weeks and due to a quickly abundant
milk supply has already stored some milk if she needs it in anticipation of
her surgery.  She is such a "trooper" and has been thru so much physical and
emotional pain over having to be on so many meds and seeing her son having
symptoms from it.  We sure do get to meet some great women in this
profession!
Thanks for all your help with this case.
Denise Stuart
Kent, WA