From:
Christy Whiteside <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 22:50:33 -0700
> From: Automatic digest processor <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 16:06:36 -0400
> To: Recipients of LACTNET digests <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: LACTNET Digest - 13 Sep 2002 - Special issue (#2002-1140)
>
> Is there a parent education pamphlet out there on
> bilirubin? What it is? How we identify it? How we
> fix it?
> For that matter, does anyone know of a basic article
> for a non-medical professional like me who has always
> been mystified by bilirubin and can't quite figure out
> how to present it in class.

I just wrote a reply regarding bilirubin. This is what I know..not that
much...I've been told that 80 percent of newborns have some jaundice. It is
caused by immature livers.. babies are born with excess blood cells in their
body. The liver is supposed to process this and expel it from the system.
when the liver is too immature it cannot process it and the blood cells
recirculate into the body. this recirculation is what causes the skin to
become yellow. the cells are closed cells (this is the only way I can
describe this) when protein or sunlight is present the cell open up and
attach to the proteins and can become easier to process. Hence glucose water
will not make any kind of effect. Breastmilk is the way and lots of filtered
sunlight. So the cells can open up and be processed. The peak for jaundice
is supposed to be between 3 and 5 days. The protein in formula helps
jaundice disappear quicker...But is that better??? There is some that say
that jaundice could be an antioxidant therefore it is better for it to be
processed slower...this is what breastmilk does. I've seen some babies still
very slightly jaundiced at six weeks of age...entirely breastfed babies of
course...

Christy Whiteside IBCLC< mom of six.