From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 08:56:33 -0400
As two of our greatest opponents to the law for breastfeeding/breastpumping
"breaks"  are the Chamber of Commerce and the Manufacturer's Association,
it seems that we indeed need to get a balance of power - financially and
politically - that unions could bring.

In Puerto Rico,  the law giving moms the right to one hour (divided as she
feels the need - either two half hours in AM and PM - if her lunch hour is
adequate - or three 20 min perionds)  was passed ALMOST unanimously - with
one notable _female abstention_  in the House of Representative.

The Senate, with one _female_ senator who received much pressure from the
above-named bodies as well as the formula companies, has not dared have
public hearings but is rather keeping everything "on the table".

Sadly, there are also letters from working moms who say lovely things like
"I was able to pump in 8 minutes - what's the need for one hour???"  I have
yet to understand the logic of these - unless it is the usual "Party
politics" - if YOUR party promoted this bill then it must be bad...

We have contacted and are being supported (to the tune of dozens of letters
and hundreds of signatures) by union leaders here.  We may not win the big
fight in Congress - but the making the unions aware of the need may add
these breaks to future negotiations...

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, IBCLC, LLLL
soon to change to <[log in to unmask]>

(If anyone can help me with the use of Internet Mail and the Lactnet
messages, could you please write me privately.)