From:
Terry Carson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 19:07:25 -0400
Hi everyone. I am a RN,IBCLC at a small hospital that does 60-90 births
a month. I am on staff as RN only and rotate between L&D, postpartum,
and newborn nursery. We are staffed to census, so it is very hard to
assist the breastfeeding moms on a regular basis. We have a outpatient
lactation consultant that makes follow up calls, consults after
discharge, and teaches classes. I teach classes, but with the outpatient
consultant it is not necessary. I was told be my manager I could have 8
hours per week to just see patients, inservice staff, and hopefully
teach a class to postpartum moms strictly as a lactation consultant, but
afterward said no go because of the budget. I plan to meet with the Vice
President of nursing to hopefully change her mind. Any suggestions on
what to present or creative ideas would be very appreciated. By the way
the hospital advertises they have a Lactation Consultant on staff and a
comprehensive breastfeeding program. The two other small hospitals in
the area only have consultants working as both RN and consultant at the
same time. Thanks for any suggestions!
                                  Terry