From:
Susan Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:04:21 -0800
Diane writes:
"Baby is, say, several days or weeks old and has never
breastfed, he goes to breast and starts to feed
well... and all the adults in the room feel like doing
cartwheels.  The *baby*, on the other hand, goes about
his business calmly with an, "I don't know what you're
so excited about.  Isn't this how *all* babies eat?"
appearance.  ...  But the feeding itself always
strikes me as surprisingly businesslike - like someone
counting his change during a tickertape parade.""

Bingo!

I don't attend birth, just new starts at the breasts,
and this is exactly what I look for and point out to
mom.  I tell parents to look for this attitude as
surely as the physical signs of good
latch/positioning.  Kind of a "I know what I'm doing &
I expect to be left to it" sort of expression.  Of
course, everyone else in the room is amazed as though
it's the first time a baby ever breastfed.  And in
many ways it is.

Susan Johnson MFA, IBCLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA