Date:
Sun, 29 Jan 2012 08:49:28 -0500
January 27, 2012

Dear Friends,

Many of you supported our Canada wide letter writing campaign last weekthat resulted in Abbott’s “free” dinner and webcast in Edmonton being cancelled. Thanks to all ofyou who were able to support the action to make the Abbott formula company accountable.  While we didn’t get the other 19 webcastcancelled, we did get the webcasts to be scientific, which is likely a “first”in the world and a major win.  Somepeople in the Middle East supported our actionand now it is our turn to reciprocate. Let’s make Abbott know we are watching them from around the world.

Dr. Khalid Iqbal,Neonatologist and Lactation Consultant in the United Arab Emirates is coordinating a Middle East action against Abbott.  I worked for 2 ½ years in the UAE andrecognize names and health care groups I worked with who are now involved withstopping Abbott’s unethical marketing practices..  I feel the world is getting smaller.  We ARE making a difference. Hope you feelthis way too.

Information to support theMiddle East Action to make Abbott formulacompany accountable:

Abbott formula company isintroducing a “new infant formula called “Similac Total Comfort” and alsodistributing “free” samples in the Middle East.  Surprisingly this formula is being promotedas a “Multi-purpose drug to cure manyconditions”. The unscientific, false and misleading claims listed under theconditions that the formula is said to cure include, fussiness, diarrhea andconstipation at the same time.  (Abbottis fooling the women and health care professionals).

Please write a very shortletter to Mr. Miles White, CEO Abbott formula company (detailed information hasalready been sent to him) requesting that Similac Total Comfort formula and thefalse and unscientific claims be immediately withdrawn because the marketing ofthis formula not only violates the International Code of Marketing ofBreastmilk Substitutes but also is misleading women and health professionals.
(Above information from Dr.Khalid Iqbal, Coordinator, IBFAN Friends’ Society)

Send  your emails to:

Mr. Miles White, CEO AbbottFormula company (we do not have an email address for Mr. white so please cc theAbbott reps listed below (Dr. Khalid requested this as it is an opportunity toeducate the reps about the Code).  FYIAbbott’s head office is in the US– note all the reps have English names.

cc [log in to unmask]
cc [log in to unmask]
cc [log in to unmask]
 cc [log in to unmask]
cc [log in to unmask] (Dr. Khalid)
cc [log in to unmask] (International Baby FoodAction)
cc [log in to unmask] (World Alliancefor Breastfeeding Action)

Do not cc me but please sendme a copy, [log in to unmask]  so I can monitor progress and escalate theaction from here if necessary.  Pleaseemail me if you have any questions.

Many thanks, Renee Hefti –Graham,
RN, Lactation Consultant,Vancouver