Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 21:11:39 +0100

>Also, we advise women that per alchoholic drink, to wait 2 hours before
>nursing.

Why?  Is there any evidence this single drink could harm the baby?

What if the baby wants feeding before the 2 hours are up?  Would having a
drink be more harmful than giving the bottle of formula instead?

Sorry - I just think it is hard enough for women to breastfeed, without
making them worried or constrained about this,  (unless there is good
evidence it is harmful, of course).

However, I have to say that in the UK we are more laid back about alcohol
in all sorts of circumstances....not saying this is good or bad, just
that's the way it is. Our official advice from the Royal College of Obs and
Gynaes and the Royal College of Midwives is that it's fine to drink in
pregnancy - I think the advice is something like one or two drinks at a
time, a few times a week, not sure so don't quote me !

I know when I was writing some pregnancy stuff for some American corporate
clients they nearly went into orbit when I wrote what that advice was. They
changed it to  nuttin', not ever, not nohow....

But the RCOG and the RCM  argue their advice is research-based.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK