From:
Edith White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 15:00:31 -0500
Gloria asks what exactly is affordable for ABM for babies of HIV+
mothers.  That is one of the huge questions, over which UNICEF must have
agonized for years before making Thursday's announcment.  (Given the
decades of deep commitment to world breastfeeding, it must have been
agonizing for UNICEF to announce it would explore ways to distribute ABM
as cheaply as possible.  To Uganda, Zambia, Cambodia, etc.?  It is
heart-breaking!)

Yes, UNICEF has considered homemade formulas and wet nursing and heat
treatment of mother's own breastmilk, and AZT-augmented breastfeeding.
UNICEF is *extremely* committed to breastfeeding.

I think ABM will have to be extremely cheap; after all, no one expects
impoverished HIV+ women to buy their own AZT to use in pregnancy and
childbirth.  The Thai government gives out a year of free ABM for babies
of HIV+ mothers (a huge population) and the Thai government is
struggling financially with free AZT and free ABM.
I was in Thailand in November 1996 - I was one of the two people
sponsored by UNICEF to represent the United States at the First
International Colloquium on Breastfeeding Training -- ane we talked
especially about the Thai experience, with UNICEF's Baby Friendly
Hospital Initiative there and with ABM, preferably cup fed.

Edith White