From:
Karen Gromada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 21:52:28 -0500

>  I want to tag on with... if compression is not important.. and only
> negative pressure is than tongue tied babies should be able to breastfeed.

Not sure how that follows... No one has said the tongue and its wavelike motions aren't important. Negative pressure doesn't occur -- or occur as well -- without it. The research just indicated that a "stripping" action (with milk transfer) does not appear to occur via compression against the palate. Milk moved during the negative pressure point of the cycle.

One could as easily ask why the compression that occurs with tongue-tied babies -- that up/down as per a pistoning -- doesn't result in good milk transfer?

Re: hand/manual expression -- is not the same as the baby's wavelike tongue activity, so it may be apples and oranges, plus it seems to work better in conjunction with MER. Incredibly tedious way to remove milk for many of us who did NOT let down with manual expression.

As per questions about the research sponsor -- the researcher showed several suckling u/s of different mother-baby BF couplets during the session and viewers could see when milk moved from breast into baby's mouth...

This research is so fascinating and invites even more questions. That's what's fascinating about this field and why it never gets tiring or boring -- always more to learn, more research to consider, etc. Love it!