From:
"Kathy Birt,RNC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 11:25:17 -0600
I was totally shocked last week when one of our formula reps brought a
video-taped inservice for the nursing staff to see.  It's subject was
breastfeeding and medications.  It was informative but I couldn't help but
keep thinking that the whole point of his bringing it was to show that
breastfeeding is contraindicated when taking certain types of medications.
It never came out and stated to give formula however. Of course he brought
us some wonderful food to eat while we watched. At the end of the video, we
took a post test for CEU's.  This included a section for comments...."What
did you find most interesting about the presentation?"  I responded, " What
I found most interesting is the fact that a formula company would be
presenting an inservice that includes the benefits of breastfeeding".
...."What would you like to see for future inservices?"...my response, "I
would like an inservice that presents the risks of giving formula to an
infant"...
I'm sure my responses won't be used in future literature!