From:
Sarah Barnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 16:10:28 -0500
Beth - I really don't understand why bf would be contraindicated.  If
there is no nipple then the milk that is produced in that area will not
come out - leading to a cessation of supply.  Sure she will be engorged
somewhat but that is related to childbirth related hormone changes and
not if she is nursing on the functioning breasts.  I have no references
though that would help educate the Dr.  It seems to me that the mom needs
to understand this very, very well so that she can make her decision
based on true *informed* consent.

Sarah Friend Barnett, LLLL, IBCLC
Bronx (New York City), New York