From:
Maurenne griese <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Oct 1998 17:56:34 -0500
I was contacted today by a woman that had the above after the birth of her
first baby two years ago.  She's contacted me ahead of time just to give me
a "heads up" in case she needs assistance again as she'll be having her
second baby this month.  She looked like she had a couple of racquetballs
underneath her armpits.  By the time she came to me, she'd received a lot
of conflicting advice, including  one recommendation of regularly
expressing the milk from the accessory breasts (that really helped-NOT!).
When I worked with her last time, we used ice, oral analgesics and an
elastic wrap around both shoulders to diminish the milk supply in her
accessory breasts which were located in her axilla bilaterally.  The
elastic wrap also held breastpads in place because she leaked a lot.  Any
other suggestions you can think of?

I wish I had asked her permission to photograph her breasts and axilla last
time because I had never seen anything like it before except in the BF and
Human Lactation text.  It's an interesting case study.  I would like to ask
her permission for this if she develops the same problem again this time,
which I'm pretty sure she will.  Of course I would need to get her written
consent, but where in America can you get photos of breasts developed?  I'm
sure their must be someplace you can do this since some of you on the list
have had these types of photos published.  HELP!

TIA,

Maurenne Griese, RNC, BSN, CCE, CBE
Birth and Breastfeeding Resources  http://www.childbirth.org/bbfr
Manhattan, KS  USA