Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 09:41:26 EDT
In a message dated 9/28/99 2:40:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Perhaps this family and others would like to know more about the
difficulties
 in providing formula for babies unfortunate enough to not be breastfed, when
 Hurricane Floyd forced many families into shelters. The Red Cross should have
 this sort of information.  >>

Hi! Just a quick note. We are in week 3 of Floyd Flooding and still have over
300 hundred people in shelters. I have been working nonstop as a shelter
manager and now as a disaster assessment team    worker. Eastern North
Carolina now has enough formula to feed the northern hemisphere !! And most
of it is concentrate and powder which is almost worthless. The ABM companies
shipped in truckloads. I had to spent most of one night with some high school
students sorting through it and baby food ( which no one uses at my shelter)
and throwing  out the expired stuff.
It is still horrible around here-the smell is unbelievable with hog lagoon
spillage, dead animals, sewage overflows, spoilt food etc. Now we have an
epidemic of mosquitoes-today they are doing ariel spraying and now the mice
have invaded!
Thanks to all communities who have responded. Last Saturday I gave tours on
the back of a HumVee to groups who brought supplies from Austin texas, and
Simpsonville SC_ I thought of ya'll there.

Barbara Whitehead, IBCLC
Ayden NC