Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 2013 00:56:19 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
I have a crazy history of plugged ducts and the LC at my peds office suggested using vitamin C with Rose hips. She said this was from research done (quite a while ago...in the 90's I want to say) at Stanford. The theory behind it is 1) the vitamin C is supposed to boost your immunity and help prevent mastitis that occurs from a plugged duct, 2) that vitamin C is extracted from either corn or rose hips and the thought is that the vitamin C from rose hips would be easier on the baby's gut than from corn, and 3) that the research mentioned above found that rose hips thins milk as well.

My personal experience is when I am breastfeeding, I take a dose of 500 mg 2x daily. If I miss 2 doses in a row, I get a plugged duct every time! Its like clock work! The vitamin C does wonders for me. 

However, I cannot offer this option to clients at the hospital as an alternative to Lecithin unless I have solid research to back it up. I have looked all over and cannot find anything so I am reaching out to see if anyone else has info on the subject or know where I could find it.

Thanks Everyone!

Rachel 
LC Student

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2