From:
Anne Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 09:22:09 EDT
 Dear Pardee, how disheartened you must be feeling.  Too bad your
maternal/child manager and fellow workers are not more 'in tune' and
respectful of your professional 'expertise'...
perhaps you should appeal to your manager and briefly write a note  with a
copy to the hospital administration and the ethics committee.
 As far as JCAH, I believe they absolutely look at things like this!  They
are very eager 'to do the right thing'.  We only have to bring these issues
to their attention.
  I remember years ago when JCAH came to our institution in California,  I
introduced myself to the one of the JCAH 'inspectors'...they had no idea what
a Lactation Consultant was.  We talked about our Lactation program, IBCLE,
the World Health Organization and THE CODE,
the Surgeon Generals Goals...I even gave her copies of our protocols...
sounding knowledgeable goes a long way.  As I was doing this in my hospital,
I am certain many others were also doing and saying similar things around the
country...the next visit included, as we have discussed before here, freezer
temperatures, protocols for initiating pumping when mother/baby separation
occurs, many other topics were also discussed.  I am certain JCAH has a long
check list of things they now look for, not to mention a basic lactation
program in existence.
I believe one of our long time consultants is now a 'consultant' to
JCAH...anyone out there know?

I suggest you contact JCAH personally.  Sincerely,
      Anne Williams RN BSN IBCLC
           Pensacola, Florida